Synthetic biology, protein synthesis and drug discovery
SynBio is a creative new field defined as the complex engineering of replicating systems. It encompasses next-generation technology for bioengineering and fresh approaches to global challenges such as drug discovery and biofuels.
Our current projects include:
- Improving ribosomal incorporation of unnatural amino acids for investigating translation mechanism and for applications such as directed evolution of peptidomimetic drugs.
- Metagenomic discovery of antibiotic resistance genes in humans, and overcoming resistance by antisense bacteriophage therapy.
- Development of chromoproteins for biosensor diagnostics.
- Simplifying the design and assembly of large genetic pathways and systems.
- Determining functions of ribosomal RNA modifications towards synthesis of the ribosome, self-replication and a minimal cell.