- Selmer group explains how an enzyme evolved bifunctionality; atomic level multitasking 2017-05-24
- Erik Holmqvist and Mikael Sellin receive Ingvar Carlsson Award 2017-04-18
- Lynn Kamerlin wins Human Frontier Science programme award 2017-03-23
- Groups led by Suparna Sanyal and Johan Elf secured two research-environment grants to ICM 2017-03-01
- Forster group chemistry reveals unexpected speed barrier in protein synthesis 2016-12-13
All bachelor's and master's biology educations and other biology courses at undergraduate level are coordinated all by the Department of Biology Education (IBG). At IBG, biologists are trained with diverse specializations such as cell biology, ecology, evolution, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, conservation, structural biology, systematics, toxicology, etc. Also engineers with specializing in biotechnology and bioinformatics, as well as teachers in biology and general science are educated at IBG.
Are you looking for a research? Look for interesting research fields in the ICM pages and ask specific researcher at the ICM if they have any available research in their group.
For those who want to immerse themselves in a field of study and conduct research on their own, we offer postgraduate studies.
Within the Department there are six different research programmes focusing on different areas of cell and molecular biology: Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Microbiology, Molecular Biophysics, Molecular Evolution, Molecular Systems Biology and Structural & Molecular Biology.
Research focuses on the chemical, molecular and structural backgrounds of cellular processes, ie. from cells to photons. Several laboratories at the Department of cell and molecular biology are also centres of excellence: Structural Biology, Molecular Biophysics, Protein Synthesis, and Uppsala RNA Research Centre. Although research focuses on basic problems, there are also collaborations with pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. The faculties and PhD students are engaged in teaching at both Bachelor and Master’s levels.